Inspired by the Wedding Pie at Paul’s cousin’s wedding in Kingston, Canada this past weekend, I decided to share a recipe for Strawberry Rhubarb Pie. I love the idea of forgoing a traditional wedding cake and doing a dessert you really love instead and for Paul’s cousin and his wife – it was pie!
Rhubarb is currently in-season and easy to find right now at your local farmers’ market. Just bake and serve with a cold icy scoop of vanilla ice cream. Here’s a great recipe from Food Network:
- 2 1/2 cups chopped fresh red rhubarb
- 2 1/2 cups de-stemmed, washed and cut strawberries chunks
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons minute tapioca
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons butter, cubed small
- 1 egg white beaten with 1 teaspoon water
- Store bought frozen double pie crust
- Mix the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, tapioca, flour, zest and juice of lemon, dash of cinnamon, and vanilla. Mix well in a large bowl and pour out into chilled crust.
- Dot the top of the filling with the butter.
- Brush edges of pie crust with egg white wash.
- Roll out the other piece of dough and place over filling. Crimp to seal edges.
- Brush with egg white wash.
- Collar with foil and bake at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes. Decrease temperature to 375 degrees F and bake for an additional 45 to 50 minutes, or until the filling starts bubbling.