A sponsored post.
I can’t believe Canadian Thanksgiving is coming up next month! My parents will be in town to visit me and we will definitely do a dinner together to celebrate.
One of my favourite parts of Thanksgiving dinner is definitely the stuffing. I’ve made every type of stuffing there is using cornbread, sourdough, white bread and even challah bread. I decided to try something different this year and created a rice stuffing for those entertaining guests with gluten-free diets.
I pretty much included all the things I LOVE about stuffing into this recipe. For me, that includes sausage, pecans, onion, celery, thyme, and dried cranberries. It’s the perfect combination of salty, sweet, and tart with lots of crunchy and soft textures.
I used a lower than usual ratio of brown rice to liquid (chicken broth) as I wanted a firm grain that wasn’t too mushy and could be tossed easily. However if you prefer a softer rice, feel free to add a bit more broth to your liking. I used USA-grown brown rice to give the dish a nice colour and I love that it’s packed full of fibre as well.
Cooking for gluten-free guests? Rice is an all-natural gluten-free food! But do make sure that the broth, sausages and anything else you use are also gluten-free to accommodate any guest allergies during Thanksgiving.
To keep warm, you could easily throw this dish into a crock pot on low with some extra chicken broth on the bottom to make sure the dish does not dry out. If you’re short on time, you could make the brown rice ahead of time and reheat before tossing with all your other ingredients.
If you want to get fancy, throw in some roasted butternut squash cubes; use chestnuts instead of pecans or fennel instead of celery. This is a really easy recipe to make and to customize.
Here’s the recipe!
Brown Rice + Sausage Stuffing with Cranberries and Pecans
- 3 ½ (875 ml) cups chicken broth
- 2 cups (500 ml) USA-grown brown rice
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 3 Italian pork sausages
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup (125 ml) dried cranberries
- ½ cup (125 ml) raw pecan halves
- In a large pot, bring 3 cups of chicken broth to a boil.
- Rinse your rice in a bowl with some cool water; add to the pot of broth when it starts to boil. Turn the temperature to low and let simmer for 35 minutes or until it gets to the texture you like.
- Meanwhile, in a large Dutch oven – heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Crumble the sausages in your hot pan until cooked through and browned, about 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In the same Dutch oven, heat up 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat. Add chopped onions and celery and cook for 4-5 minutes or until soft. Season with salt and pepper. Add 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- Add ½ cup of chicken broth to deglaze your pan. Scrape up any brown bits on the bottom and bring to a simmer for 3-4 minutes. Add cranberries and remove from heat.
- Heat a small non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Toast your pecans in the pan until toasted, about 4-5 minutes. Keep them moving so they do not burn.
- Pour your cooked brown rice into a big serving bowl. Add the vegetable mixture on top and gently toss. Add the cooked sausage, toss again and season with salt and pepper.
- Top with toasted pecans before serving.
WIN THIS! This Beautiful Day x USA Rice Canada Giveaway
Want to win a mini rice cooker so you can make rice easily at home?
Enter via the Rafflecopter widget below and you could win this super cute 3-cup rice cooker for all your Thanksgiving and meal prep needs. Open to Canadian residents only (excluding Quebec), void where prohibited, must be 18 years or older to enter.
Facebook – USA Rice Canada
Pinterest – USA Rice Canada