Tag Archives: Tilt
Getting married or know someone who is?
Perhaps the venue is now booked, the invitations have been sent, you’ve registered for your honeymoon (did you know you can group fund your honeymoon?) and you’re now ready to build the perfect wedding reception timeline. After working over 400+ weddings as a special event DJ, there are a few tricks that really help a wedding reception flow.
Here are a few tips to keep in mind when planning a wedding schedule:
1) Speeches – It’s better to schedule speeches in-between courses. It’s a natural lull that could easily be filled by a quick 5-minute speech (try not to let them go longer). Guests generally prefer this format as opposed to listening to 20 minutes of back-to-back speeches at the end of dinner.
2) Speech Timing – I like to cue the MC when the last table has been served their food. He or she will then quickly introduce the next speaker, encourage people to keep eating and get the show on the road. I would also advise the banquet hall not to clear any dishes until the speech has been finished so there’s no competing noise.
3) The Best Man Speech – Slot this one in as early as possible. I’ve seen too many Best Men get super nervous and knock back way too many drinks to compensate. Get this speech in early on in the night; same goes for anyone else who is very nervous about speaking.
Wedding season is kicking off soon which means bachelorette party o’clock is happening right now. So you’ve been tasked with planning and hosting the BEST bachelorette party ever for your best girlfriend. No pressure right?
Where do you even begin? How do you deal with all the opinions and tastes? How do you manage collecting money from a big group of people? I’ve got a few tips for you on planning a great bachelorette party:
1) Pick a Memorable Location
The first thing to decide is if this will this be a one night party where you will celebrate locally or will this be an all-out weekend of debauchery at a fun destination? Consult with the bride and ask her where she would like to go. Then poll the bridesmaids and her closest girlfriends to see if a weekend in Vegas/Miami/NYC is do-able for everybody’s schedule and budget. You can always bunk four to a room, fly on points or go during low season.
If the bride wants to include as many people as possible, a local party is probably your best bet. But if you’re looking for a memorable getaway with just a small group of girlfriends – perhaps it will be a weekend trip. It could be a spa getaway in the country, a cottage rental in Muskoka, or a visit to a new city – anything is possible.
2) Pack it Full of Unique Activities
Once you’ve decided where you will be hosting the bachelorette, start researching fun activities for the group. Is there something incredibly unique that you can do as a group or at your destination that you can’t do at home?
Book an afternoon at the spa, take a local cooking class, hit up a comedy show, reserve a bunch of swanky dinners, go dancing, have brunch, go for afternoon tea or spend the day shopping. Ask the concierge at the hotel you are staying at for their opinion on the best ideas for your bachelorette party and let them help you. (more…)
By: Lisa Ng
Planning a honeymoon or romantic getaway with your love? Canada is full of beautiful and unique honeymoon destinations where you can explore to your heart’s content and soak in all the scenery that our country has to offer.
It’s also a great time to plan a romantic vacation within Canada, as you’ll get more bang for your buck by staying in Canada and spending your Canadian dollar at home. A lot of couples are also choosing to register for their dream honeymoon vacation as opposed to additional home items, they may already own. To get you inspired, here are My Top 5 Honeymoon Ideas in Canada:
1) Banff, Alberta
Looking for a little adventure? The stunning backdrop of the Rocky Mountains provides the perfect scene for the activity-seeking couple. Spend a day skiing on powder at Sunshine Mountain, see turquoise blue water while hiking Johnston Canyon Trail or ride the Banff Gondola for a scenic 360 view. Cuddle up in front of the fire at the Fairmont Banff Springs hotel and book a couples massage at their luxurious Willow Stream Spa. Finish the night under the stars while soaking in mineral-rich water at the Banff Hot Springs. It’s the perfect winter honeymoon idea in Canada.