Tag Archives: Healthy Breakfast Ideas
Do you have those food moments where sometimes the simplest dish will be the best thing you’ve ever eaten?
Egg on toast is one of those things for me. Though the above photo looks simple enough, I made Drew Barrymore’s recipe for her favourite open-faced egg sandwich recipe and it was divine.
I bought a crusty organic French loaf from Whole Foods, toasted the bread and then slathered some fancy Boursin Herb & Garlic cheese on top before layering on fresh basil and sliced tomato. I cracked an egg into a non-stick frying pan and cooked it on medium-low until the yolk was just set. I like to give my egg a sprinkle of freshly ground pepper and red pepper flakes before sliding it on top of my toast.
The results are breakfast perfection. The cheese paired with the basil, tomato, the runny egg yolk and the crunch of the bread is everything I would want from breakfast. I added some leftover salad greens from my dinner the night before and some cut fruit and I was in heaven. Add a cup of nice dark coffee and it’s like room service.
Thank you Drew Barrymore for sharing. Here’s her recipe on Refinery 29.
Looking for a healthy breakfast idea? Here are a few of my favourites to get me fueled up and ready to go in the morning:
1) Oatmeal with Mixed Berries and Brown Sugar – If I’m in a mega rush in the morning, I’ll put on the kettle and make myself a bowl of plain instant steel-cut oatmeal. Just add a handful of your favourite mixed berries and a sprinkle of brown sugar or maple syrup. Add a touch of almond milk if you like.
Throw your oatmeal in an container, pack a spoon and head out the door! For a variation, try adding dried fruit, nuts or pumpkin seeds instead. I like buying plain oatmeal and adding my own flavours and sweetener instead of it coming packed with anything artificial. Fresh is best!
2) Easy Egg Tacos – Grab a package of corn tortillas, a carton of eggs, fresh salsa and an avocado at the start of the week. It’s everything you need to make these easy egg tacos. Just heat up the tortilla for 30 seconds on each side in a non-stick pan, fry an egg sunny-side up. Serve with sliced avocado and salsa on the side. Add hot sauce or sriracha if you like a bit of kick. Or scramble your egg if you’re in a rush! Definitely one of my fave healthy breakfast ideas.
3) Cinnamon Raisin Toast – Sometimes it’s the Cinnamon Raisin Bread from Trader Joe’s that gets me up every morning. The bread itself is thick and chewy bread and when toasted, it has a nice loud crunch. I spread on a tiny bit of butter and serve with a sliced apple and a hard-boiled egg for a filling and healthy breakfast. Cinnamon + apple together? The BEST. (more…)
I love eggs and avocado together, so this recipe was right up my alley. I found this healthy breakfast idea in a fitness magazine and have been making it for a few months now. It’s my go-to for getting my eating back on a healthy track. I also have a couple other breakfast ideas that I make all the time.
If you’re going gluten-free, you could easily substitue gluten-free bread instead of sourdough. I like serving this up with some freshly sliced ripe tomatoes and some sea salt on top.
I also bought this mini avocado masher and I use it like crazy for making guacomole or for this recipe. It’s super handy to have.
- Sourdough loaf
- 1/2 Ripe avocado
- 1 egg
- Fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 lemon wedge
- Red pepper flakes & fresh ground pepper to taste
- Mash 1/2 of a ripe avocado in a bowl, add a sprinkle of finely chopped rosemary
- Squeeze a bit of lemon juice on top and stir
- Toast a slice of sourdough bread
- Take your garlic clove and rub it all over your slice of toast
- Spread the mashed mixture on top
- Fry your egg sunnyside up, sprinkle with red pepper flakes and pepper
- Slide on top of your toast, add small sprigs of rosemary to your plate & enjoy!