Tag Archives: Egg tacos
Looking for a healthy breakfast idea? Here are a few of my favourites to get me fueled up and ready to go in the morning:
1) Oatmeal with Mixed Berries and Brown Sugar – If I’m in a mega rush in the morning, I’ll put on the kettle and make myself a bowl of plain instant steel-cut oatmeal. Just add a handful of your favourite mixed berries and a sprinkle of brown sugar or maple syrup. Add a touch of almond milk if you like.
Throw your oatmeal in an container, pack a spoon and head out the door! For a variation, try adding dried fruit, nuts or pumpkin seeds instead. I like buying plain oatmeal and adding my own flavours and sweetener instead of it coming packed with anything artificial. Fresh is best!
2) Easy Egg Tacos – Grab a package of corn tortillas, a carton of eggs, fresh salsa and an avocado at the start of the week. It’s everything you need to make these easy egg tacos. Just heat up the tortilla for 30 seconds on each side in a non-stick pan, fry an egg sunny-side up. Serve with sliced avocado and salsa on the side. Add hot sauce or sriracha if you like a bit of kick. Or scramble your egg if you’re in a rush! Definitely one of my fave healthy breakfast ideas.
3) Cinnamon Raisin Toast – Sometimes it’s the Cinnamon Raisin Bread from Trader Joe’s that gets me up every morning. The bread itself is thick and chewy bread and when toasted, it has a nice loud crunch. I spread on a tiny bit of butter and serve with a sliced apple and a hard-boiled egg for a filling and healthy breakfast. Cinnamon + apple together? The BEST. (more…)
Who doesn’t love egg tacos?
I’m all about weekend brunch and this is my go-to when I’m looking for something quick, healthy and satisfying. My Easy Egg Tacos can be as fancy or as simple as you like. Here’s how to make it happen:
- Organic corn tortillas
- Fresh salsa
- Pan fry the corn tortillas to warm them up and set aside
- Fry an egg in a non-stick pan until sunny-side up, put on top of your tortilla
- Add 2 tablespoons of fresh salsa per serving
- Chop up 1/2 of an avocado and add as much as you’d like to your egg tacos
- Roll up into taco form or keep it mess-free with a fork and knife!
Calories – 259 per serving (one tortilla, egg, 1/2 avocado, 2 tbsp of salsa)
Make it fancy by adding a small tossed salad or some cut fruit. If you have a bit more time, throw in some breakfast sausage, beans or even leftover meat and vegetables. If you prefer a less messy and runny egg taco, scramble your eggs instead and add some fresh peppers and onions to your fry up for a bit more flavour.
I buy the organic corn tortillas that come in the refrigerated section at Whole Foods. If you don’t use up the whole package for your egg tacos, you can freeze the tortillas, make chips or quesedillas for dinner.