One of the things I’ve consciously been trying, is centering my meals more around vegetables with the meat being the side dish or flavouring. This Steak Nicoise Salad totally satisfies all of my red meat cravings while keeping dinner healthy at the same time. Which is great because I’ve been trying to do smoothies for breakfast and salads for dinner more.
I usually buy a nice cut of steak, grill it with some olive oil, salt and pepper. While that’s grilling off – I boil the eggs, cook the potatoes and green beans and assemble the salad.
This salad eats like a big meal and you won’t be looking for snacks later! For the olives, you can buy Nicoise olives at a self-serve olive bar or in a jar or can. But really, you can use whatever olives you’d like. To lighten this up, make it with chicken, seared ahi tuna or canned tuna instead.
STEAK NICOISE SALAD
Makes 2 Servings
- 1 large piece of steak, your choice of cut to feed 2 people
- 1 bag of mixed greens salad in a bag
- 2 hard boiled eggs, peeled and halved
- 2 cups of small red new potatoes
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups of French green beans
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Nicoise olives
- Olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- Salt & pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, reduce to medium and cook potatoes for about 8 minutes until soft. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Boil your eggs in a smaller pot of water until hard boiled. Let cool before peeling.
- Bring another large pot of water to boil, cook green beans for one minute, drain and let green beans cool.
- While everything is cooking, arrange your salad greens on two plates. Place your cherry tomatoes on top.
- Cut your potatoes into large chunks and arrange your desired amount on each plate.
- Cut your hardboiled egg in half and add to your salad. Scatter a few olives on your salad. Add your green beans to your salad.
- Preheat your BBQ or indoor grill until very hot. Brush your steak with olive oil and season with salt & pepper. Grill steak for about 5 minutes on each side, or to your desired doneness.
- Let steak cool a bit, then slice and place on to your salad.
- While the steak is cooking mix-up your dressing in medium-sized bowl. Add parsley, dried thyme, garlic sprinkle of salt & pepper, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, white wine vinegar, mustard and whisk together.
- Drizzle desired amount of dressing over your salad.