I’ve been working my way through ALL the soups lately. My cold had me craving chicken noodle soup, matzo ball soup, wonton noodle soup and now we have come to this delicious healthy roasted tomato soup recipe. I found this in Shape Magazine and it’s been a staple in my recipe binder since.
If you’re heading to a farmers’ market this weekend, pick up a bunch of ripe tomatoes and whip up this batch of soup to pair with a tuna melt or grilled cheese for your Sunday night. Here’s the recipe:
- 6 ripe tomatoes, I like on the vine or hot house
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 8 basil leaves
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- Dill (optional garnish)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a Le Creuset Dutch Oven, combine tomatoes, onion, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, a dash of pepper, olive oil, sugar, and salt. Roast for 45 minutes or until tomatoes are caramelized.
- Place your pot on top of the stove and add basil and vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer.
- Pour into a blender – I use this one, and puree. Add salt to taste. Make sure you leave a steam vent at the top of your blender. Cover with paper towel and hold down so your soup does not explode everywhere!
- Add salt to taste and dill to garnish
Enjoy with your favourite sandwich.