I made this delicious roasted carrot + spinach bowl recently and I’m definitely keeping this hearty and healthy option in my lunch rotation. Make a big batch at the start of the week and separate into individual containers for a healthy lunch all week.
I prefer a bit of protein with my meal, so add grilled tofu steaks, rotisserie chicken breast, chickpeas or black beans. Sliced avocado would be great too! I threw in some leftover steamed broccoli that I had in my fridge. The taste of the roasted carrots and red onions are so full of flavour that I kept the dressing simple. Follow the jump for the recipe!
Adapted from Martha Stewart Living
- 1 lb carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- Olive oil
- Salt + pepper
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss carrots, onion, thyme, 2 tablespoons of oil on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast vegetables for 40 minutes, stir once halfway through.
- Meanwhile cook quinoa with 1 1/4 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat & simmer until soft for 16 minutes.
- Add spinach, cover for 5 more minutes.
- Transfer to 4 bowls, top with vegetables. Add a small squeeze of a lemon juice to each bowl and drizzle with a bit of olive oil, toss.