One of my all-time favourite neighbourhood restaurants is Gjelina. Yes, you may have heard me rave about this kale salad before, but the people are Gjelina have simplicity, the use of fresh + seasonal ingredients and flavour down to an art. There is always a line-up out the door at their restaurant on Abbot Kinney Boulevard. When I know I have friends visiting from out-of-town, I book at least 2-3 weeks in advance to get a table.
It’s worth all the hype. Because they know what they are doing what food and they do it right every single time. Here’s what to order:
- The Kale Salad
- Margherita Pizza with Burrata
- Cauliflower Vegetable
- The Meatballs
- The Gnocchi
My favourite seasonal dish is their Grilled Peaches with Burrata. I snapped these pics when I was there for dinner last week and if you can’t make it all the way here to LA, it’s easy to re-create something similar at home. Here’s how:
- 2-3 ripe peaches
- 1 package of sliced prosciutto
- 1 ball of burrata cheese
- Mixed greens
- Olive oil + balsamic vinegar
- Heat a grill pan or BBQ to medium-high heat.
- Cut your peaches in half and place face down on your grill for about 5 minutes.
- Arrange burrata on your serving board.
- Remove peaches from heat and cut into big slices and arrange around your burrata.
- Arrange prosciutto on your serving board
- Toss a handful of mixed greens with olive oil + balsamic vinegar and add to your board.
Voila! Easy appetizer – enjoy. See my Gjelina-inspired Kale Salad Recipe here.