A sponsored post.
Welcome to Get Fit! A regular column with ideas on keeping active and in shape outside of the regular old gym routine. Here are the workouts we’ve tried so far. I find that variety keeps me from getting bored and my muscles guessing.
This week, I thought I would chat about the importance of staying hydrated, especially if you’re starting a new exercise routine. I drink a lot of filtered water and wrote about it in my water diary. Your body is composed roughly of 60% water – so you need it to keep your body happy. I usually keep my Brita pitcher filled to the max, so I have cold, great tasting water ready whenever I open my fridge.
Here are the benefits of water and exercise and how it helps you get fit:
- Hunger vs. Thirst – Reaching for that afternoon snack? It could be that your body is dehydrated and not necessarily hungry. It’s often that we mistake thirst for hunger and we end up consuming empty calories to make up for it. Before you snack, drink a big glass of filtered water and see how you feel.
- Exercise More Efficiently – If you’re not fully hydrated, you may not be giving yourself the opportunity to get the most out of your workout. Dehydration can lead to fatigue, dizziness or muscle cramps. You’ll also be losing water during your workout, so if you’re starting out dehydrated – you won’t be getting the best results for your time. Try to drink an adequate amount of water at least 1-2 hours before your get active.
- Drink Water Post-Workout – Make sure you have a cold bottle of water ready for you post-workout. It replaces the water you lose when you sweat and helps your body get back to its regular temperature. Water helps your muscles recover faster and reduces joint pain by keep your cartilage soft.
- Flush Out Those Toxins – Water helps flush out any toxins and is good for kidney health. Help your kidney do its job by keeping it hydrated. Drinking too little water can put you at risk for kidney stones – so get in the regular habit of drinking more water! It also helps with digestion issues and keeps your colon happy too.
- Great Looking Skin – In addition to looking and feeling fit, water will give your skin a glowing boost. Our skin is the largest organ in our body and not only will you feel great, you’ll also look great when you’ve drank enough water.
Stay hydrated when you’re running around the city and during your workout with Brita’s new on-the-go bottles. It has a filter built right in, so you’ll have great tasting water wherever you are. Keep the 1L bottle filled at your desk and have a visual reminder to drink more water.
If you don’t like the taste of plain old water, add a bit of natural flavour with these fruit infused water ideas. Short on time? Whip up a batch of fruit infused ice cubes at the start of the week and simply drop into your Brita on-the-go bottle. It saves you from having to get out the cutting board and chop up fresh fruit every time.
To learn more, visit Brita Canada online.