Looking for a light + healthy dinner idea? I’m re-sharing this post for those trying to get back on track after the holidays. Enjoy!
I have been too lazy to cook recently.
I find that this comes in waves. I’m tired, stressed and uninspired…UNTIL – Nelia Belkova from Style Blog started posting instagram photos of all the delicious quiches she’s been making! I haven’t made a quiche in YEARS and I thought it would be waaaay more complicated then it actually is. But if you just use the veggies & herbs in your fridge or cupboard, get organized and buy eggs, half & half and a frozen pie shell and you’re good to go!
To save on time and clean-up, I made TWO quiches at the same time – since the pie shells came in packs of two. For the first one I sauteed onions and mushrooms before adding baby spinach. Then I dotted the quiche with chopped up sundried tomatoes.
Add the egg mixture to your veggies and they sprinkle with fresh or dried herbs
I got so excited that I started cutting up the quiche before taking a picture! After removing from the oven, let the quiche set and cool off for about 5 minutes. I froze the other quiche I made by letting it cool completely, wrapping the top in tin foil and then putting the whole thing in a large freezer bag. I should be able to cook from frozen next time I feel like quiche.
- Frozen pie crust shell
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (250 ml) half & half
- Salt & pepper
- Chili flakes
- Your favourite shredded cheese (cheddar, gruyere work well)
- Your favourite veggies, chopped (spinach, broccoli, mushrooms, onions, leeks, peppers, eggplant, sundried tomatoes)
- Dried herbs (chives, parsley, thyme etc)
- Preheat oven to 325
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs and half & half
- Add a little of salt & pepper and a big pinch of chili flakes
- Add a bit of your favourite dried herbs
- Place a bit of shredded cheese at the bottom of your pie shell
- Fry your chopped vegetables in a teaspoon of butter, add cooked veggies to pie shell
- Add more cheese
- Pour egg mixture over cheese and veggies in your pie shell
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the eggs are set
Serve with a side green salad for dinner and enjoy again the next day for breakfast or lunch. It’s a great way to get more veggies in your diet and protein. Enjoy!