Chicken soup has got to be one of my all-time favourite foods and this hearty bowl of homemade soup with big chewy dumplings does the trick for me. Especially on a rainy, cold day – which there are many in Portland!
I like to make a big pot at the start of the week and throw it into a cute thermos like this one if I’m heading out for day. This chicken soup is also super quick to prepare and is a great weeknight meal. The dumplings are a great way to change things up if you’re getting tired of chicken noodle soup.
If you can – source Trader Joe’s Mirepoix Mix it is such a HUGE time saver. If not, chop up 1-2 carrots, 1 yellow onion and 2 ribs of celery instead. But if you can find the mix, it’s a big timesaver! Here’s the recipe:
- 1 container of Trader Joe’s Mirepoix Mix
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt & pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 boxes low-sodium, organic chicken stock
- 1 package of organic chicken breast tenders, cut into chunks
- Handful dill, chopped
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Dash of salt
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- Heat a large dutch oven or pot over medium high heat.
- Add oil, mirepoix mix and sauté for about 4-5 minutes until vegetables are soft
- Season with salt, pepper, bay leaves and thyme.
- Add stock to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Add chicken and bring to a boil again and then bring the heat back to a low simmer, while you make the dumplings.
- For the dumplings, whisk together egg, milk, butter, salt. Then slowly whisk in the flour until well mixed.
- Using your hands or a cookie batter scoop, create small dumplings and drop them into your soup pot as you go.
- Dumplings will float to the top of your chicken soup when they are cooked.
- Remove bay leaves and add a sprinkle of dill to each bowl before serving.
Loved this? Check out my Roasted Tomato Soup recipe!