A sponsored post.
I love Mexican food and I’m trying to cook more in 2017.
It keeps really well, so you can make it ahead of time and take it with you for lunch the next day. It’s also an easy weeknight meal idea when you’re craving something simple that doesn’t require a ton of prep. To save time, you can even cook the brown rice and grill the chicken ahead of time and assemble the Chicken Burrito Bowl when you’re ready.
I tried to keep this recipe simple, fresh and healthy. The brown rice is so incredibly filling and packed with fiber, that I didn’t add black beans to my recipe – but you could do so easily if you’d like and stretch this recipe into four bowls!
For a vegan version, simply omit the cheese and replace the chicken completely with black beans. Here’s the recipe:
BROWN RICE CHICKEN BURRITO BOWL WITH CHARRED CORN
- 1 teaspoon (70 ml) coconut oil, melted
- 1 can (440 ml) corn kernels
- 2 cups (500 ml), USA-grown brown rice, cooked
- 1 chicken breast, grilled and cubed
- 6 tablespoons (90 ml) salsa or pico de gallo
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Small handful of cilantro leaves (optional)
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- In a large non-stick skillet or Dutch oven heat a bit of coconut oil over medium-high heat.
- Add your corn kernels and saute until charred, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In two bowls, place 1 cup of rice in each bowl
- Arrange the 1/2 of your chicken on top of each bowl
- Add 3 tablespoons of salsa or more to each bowl
- Arrange 1/2 of your avocado slices in each bowl
- Add as much charred corn as you’d like to each bowl
- Garnish with cheddar cheese and cilantro leaves (optional)
- Serve with a lime wedge
Enjoy your Chicken Burrito Bowl!
Rice is an easy meal choice because it’s nutritious, affordable, and versatile. It’s also naturally gluten-free, fat-free, and a sodium-free meal choice. You can also make it ahead of time or freeze cooked rice for future use.