A sponsored post.
Have you been meal prepping like a maniac?
I’m one of those people who like to make New Year’s Resolutions and this year I opted for a Dry January and to stick to my Reducetarian Diet. We’re nearing the end of the month and it’s been so far, so good!
I had my last drink of champagne on New Year’s Eve, I haven’t drank any soda this month and I have reduced my meat consumption to the point where I am practically a vegetarian. I’ve also been doing a lot of meal prepping to keep my healthy eating on track.
Now, the downside of eating a meat-reduced diet is that I find myself eating A LOT of white carbs – like pasta and bread. Though these things are great in moderation, I found myself struggling on what a healthy vegetarian diet looks like.
So I found myself reaching for USA-grown brown rice, which is nutritious and high in fibre – meaning it will keep you feeling full and not reaching for a bag of chips after dinner. I paired my brown rice bowl with some BBQ chickpeas and of course LOTS of veggies!
BBQ sauce packs a lot of flavour and chickpeas are high in protein. I like to meal prep a big batch of this recipe, pack it into my lunch containers and have a healthy lunch all week.
I split my servings over four containers, but if you find that’s too much food – feel free to split it up over five containers. The rice, veggies and chickpeas are super filling. Also feel free to mix-up the veggies if you’re not a fan of broccoli or tomatoes – try sweet potatoes, roasted carrots or green beans instead.
Here’s the recipe:
Brown Rice BBQ Chickpea Bowl
- 2 cups (500 ml) USA-grown brown rice
- 1 small bunch broccoli, cut into florets
- ½ cup water (125 ml)
- 1 19 oz (540 ml) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup (125 ml) BBQ sauce
- 1 12 oz (340 ml) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 pint (473 ml) cherry tomatoes, halved
- Salt and pepper (optional)
- 4 meal prep lunch containers
- Cook brown rice following your package directions. Remove from heat and divide evenly over four meal prep containers.
- While your rice is cooking, wash and prepare your broccoli for steaming. Bring ½ cup of water to boil in a large pot with a steamer insert.
- Place broccoli in steamer basket, and place insert over your pot. Cover and cook for 6-8 minutes until broccoli is bright green and tender. Remove from heat and divide between your containers.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add chickpeas and BBQ sauce to warm through – about 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat, divide and arrange your chickpeas between your containers.
- Divide your can of corn between the four servings, do the same with your cherry tomatoes.
- Add salt and pepper to finish (optional).
- Place your finished meal prepped rice bowls in the fridge for easy lunches all week. Simply reheat in the microwave for about a minute at work or at home.
Have you been doing any meal-prepping this month? What have you been putting into each bowl?