Stumped for dinner again? If you’re looking for something healthy and filling, I highly recommend making your own Tuna Nicoise Salad at home. I whipped this version up earlier this week, with what I grabbed quickly at the grocery store. If you don’t have Nicoise olives or any olives, don’t worry about it – just use what you have.
Sushi-grade Ahi tuna is a nice splurge. I bought one filet for about $10 at my local Asian market and split it between two servings. If you want to use a can of flaked tuna or a salmon filet or roasted shrimp instead – go for it. I also picked up some pre-made tamago egg slices from the sushi section as well. If you don’t can’t find this, use a hardboiled egg instead. Add potatoes, green beans, tomatoes, cucumbers or whatever vegetables you like!
- 1 filet, Ahi tuna
- Field greens salad mix, rinsed
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup green beans, trimmed and blanched
- 1 cup new potatoes, boiled with skin-on
- Sesame oil, sprinkle
- 2 hard boiled eggs, halved or store-bought tamago egg slices
- 1/4 cup Nicoise olives
- Salad dressing, your favourite or make your own French Vinaigrette
- Toss field greens, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, olives into a large salad bowl and toss with your desired amount of salad dressing. Divide between two dinner plates.
- Arrange one hard boiled egg, and divide the green beans and boiled potatoes on top of each salad.
- Heat a non-stick grill over your stovetop on high heat.
- Brush your Ahi tuna filet with a sprinkle of sesame oil. Sear on each side for about 1-2 minutes once your pan is very hot.
- Slice your tuna and arrange on top of your two salad plates.
Enjoy your salad!