Looking for a healthy breakfast idea? Here are a few of my favourites to get me fueled up and ready to go in the morning:
1) Oatmeal with Mixed Berries and Brown Sugar – If I’m in a mega rush in the morning, I’ll put on the kettle and make myself a bowl of plain instant steel-cut oatmeal. Just add a handful of your favourite mixed berries and a sprinkle of brown sugar or maple syrup. Add a touch of almond milk if you like.
Throw your oatmeal in an container, pack a spoon and head out the door! For a variation, try adding dried fruit, nuts or pumpkin seeds instead. I like buying plain oatmeal and adding my own flavours and sweetener instead of it coming packed with anything artificial. Fresh is best!
2) Easy Egg Tacos – Grab a package of corn tortillas, a carton of eggs, fresh salsa and an avocado at the start of the week. It’s everything you need to make these easy egg tacos. Just heat up the tortilla for 30 seconds on each side in a non-stick pan, fry an egg sunny-side up. Serve with sliced avocado and salsa on the side. Add hot sauce or sriracha if you like a bit of kick. Or scramble your egg if you’re in a rush! Definitely one of my fave healthy breakfast ideas.
3) Cinnamon Raisin Toast – Sometimes it’s the Cinnamon Raisin Bread from Trader Joe’s that gets me up every morning. The bread itself is thick and chewy bread and when toasted, it has a nice loud crunch. I spread on a tiny bit of butter and serve with a sliced apple and a hard-boiled egg for a filling and healthy breakfast. Cinnamon + apple together? The BEST.
4) Vegetable Quiche – If you can make a big quiche on a Sunday night, you can eat it all week for breakfast and lunch, just add a salad. I use a frozen pie shell to save time and add whatever vegetables I have on hand. Grab my Vegetable Quiche recipe here!
5) Greek Yogurt Breakfast Parfait – Grab a mason jar and layer up mixed berries, sliced banana, nuts, seeds, dried fruit or granola for a gorgeous breakfast parfait. Do it before you go to bed, and grab your parfait on your way out the door. Friends have suggested adding protein powder or using Kefir instead!
6) Broiled Egg in an Avocado – I finally got around to trying this at home. Crack an egg into a bowl – but be sure not to crack the yolk. Cut an avocado in half, scoop out a bit of the flesh so the egg can sit inside it. Slip the egg from your bowl into your half avocado, broil in an oven safe ramekin or Pyrex bowl at 425 for about 10-15 minutes until the egg is baked. Top with salsa, red pepper flakes and fresh ground pepper. Spread the avocado & egg mixture on toast or just eat out of the avocado!
7) Green Breakfast Smoothie – You don’t need a fancy juicer to make yourself a healthy and satisfying green smoothie. Pop a couple cubes of frozen spinach or a big handful of fresh spinach into your blender. Add a banana, some almond milk, a tablespoon of peanut butter, some berries and blend! You’ll be loaded up on fibre and your fruit & veg servings in one go! Here’s the Orange Julius Green Smoothie recipe I swear by! It’s a terrific healthy breakfast idea.
8) Roasted Cauliflower Breakfast Bowl – I like to make this bowl by prepping up my cauliflower and tomatoes the night before and dividing into containers for the week. To serve, I just heat it up and a fried egg and some salad. Grab my recipe here!
9) Acai Berry Bowl – This is pretty much a smoothie bowl that you can top up with berries, sliced bananas and granola. You can buy frozen Acai smoothie packs that you can blend with a bit of ice and a banana. Here’s how I make my Acai bowl.
10) Raw Breakfast Idea – If the idea of assembling breakfast is more appealing then actually cooking it, then you might dig my raw breakfast idea. My raw plate features a mix of fresh fruit, dates, nuts and a local raw bar. Easy to eat on the go!
11) Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins – Want something you can grab in the morning and eat on your commute? Whip up a big batch of these Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins and pair with a coffee and a piece of fruit. They also freeze well, so you can make a big batch and thaw as you need them.
12) Easy Breakfast Burritos – Meal prep is all the rage right now and these Breakfast Burritos are a snap to prepare on the weekend. Just wrap each one individually, freeze and then microwave when you’re ready to eat them. I like to pack mine with salsa, spinach and turkey sausage.
13) Blueberry Overnight Oats – Trying to eat more oatmeal but don’t have the time to cook it in the morning? Try this easy recipe for Blueberry Overnight Oats where it soaks up overnight in almond milk. Add fresh berries, slivered almonds and prep it up in a mason jar.
14) Avocado Toast + Egg – I love the simplicity of avocado toast. I give mine a little more protein by adding an over easy egg on top. I add a little rosemary to my avocado spread and use sourdough toast – here’s the recipe!
15) Mason Jar Fruit Salad – Another great grab and go idea is this Mason Jar Fruit Salad that you prep the night before. I like to pair it up with a vanilla yogurt or some granola.
What’s your favourite healthy breakfast idea? Is there something you eat over and over again?