Looking for a healthy breakfast idea? Here are a few of my favourites to get me fueled up and ready to go in the morning:
1) Oatmeal with Mixed Berries and Brown Sugar – If I’m in a mega rush in the morning, I’ll put on the kettle and make myself a bowl of plain instant steel-cut oatmeal. Just add a handful of your favourite mixed berries and a sprinkle of brown sugar. Add a touch of milk if you like. Throw your oatmeal in an container, pack a spoon and head out the door! For a variation, try adding dried fruit, nuts or pumpkin seeds instead. I like buying plain and adding my own flavours and sweetener (like maple syrup or brown sugar) instead of it coming packed with anything artificial. Fresh is best!
2) Easy Egg Tacos – Grab a package of corn tortillas, a carton of eggs, fresh salsa and an avocado at the start of the week. It’s everything you need to make these easy egg tacos. Just heat up the tortilla for 30 seconds on each side in a non-stick pan, fry an egg sunny-side up. Serve with sliced avocado and salsa on the side. Add hot sauce or sriracha if you like a bit of kick. Or scramble your egg if you’re in a rush! Definitely one of my fave healthy breakfast ideas.
3) Cinnamon Raisin Toast – It’s the Cinnamon Raisin Bread from Trader Joe’s that gets me up every morning. The bread itself is thick and chewy bread and when toasted, it has a nice loud crunch. I spread on a tiny bit of butter and serve with a sliced apple and a hard-boiled egg for a filling and healthy breakfast. Cinnamon + apple together? The BEST.
4) Peanut Butter English Muffin – I love this combo for the mix of protein, fibre, fruit and textures. Take a whole wheat english muffin, spread both sides with 1/2 tablespoon of peanut butter each. Add sliced pears and a drizzle of honey.
5) Greek Yogurt Breakfast Parfait – Grab a mason jar and layer up mixed berries, sliced banana, nuts, seeds, dried fruit or granola for a gorgeous breakfast parfait. Do it before you go to bed, and grab your parfait on your way out the door. Friends have suggested adding protein powder or using Kefir instead!
6) Broiled Egg in an Avocado – I finally got around to trying this at home. Crack an egg into a bowl – but be sure not to crack the yolk. Cut an avocado in half, scoop out a bit of the flesh so the egg can sit inside it. Slip the egg from your bowl into your half avocado, broil in an oven safe ramekin or Pyrex bowl at 425 for about 10-15 minutes until the egg is baked. Top with salsa, red pepper flakes and fresh ground pepper. Spread the avocado & egg mixture on toast or just eat out of the avocado!
7) Green Breakfast Smoothie – You don’t need a fancy juicer to make yourself a healthy and satisfying green smoothie. Pop a couple cubes of frozen spinach or a big handful of fresh spinach into your blender. Add a banana, some almond milk, a tablespoon of peanut butter, some berries and blend! You’ll be loaded up on fibre and your fruit & veg servings in one go!
What’s your favourite healthy breakfast idea? Is there something you eat over and over again?