By: April + Michelle of GetRealGurls Nutrition
We all love top ten lists, am I right?
But why do nutrition lists always seem to feature crazy “superfoods” that you’ve never heard of, don’t know how to prepare or can’t find at your local grocery store? Frustrating.
So in the spirit of gettin’ real, we’ve comprised our list of the top ten common, everyday, healthy foods, you probably aren’t eating enough of, but should. In no particular order – we don’t discriminate when it comes to healthy foods – here they are:
1. Beans – like kidney beans, black beans, chickpeas, white beans, navy beans, lentils – we don’t care, they’re all healthy. Full of soluble fibre, magnesium, folate and potassium- all important nutrients the average person doesn’t get enough of. Try this Minestrone Soup recipe.
2. Leafy greens – like kale or collards – nutritional superstars compared to their other leafy counterparts like iceberg or even romaine lettuce. And you can eat them as a “chip.” Ever make kale chips? Yum. Here’s a recipe for Kale Quinoa Fritters + 5 Healthy Salad Recipes.
3. Berries – like strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries – you probably eat enough of these guys in the summa’ time, but they are worth eating all year round for their antioxidant and fibre content. Plus they are delicious! Try these Oven-Dried Strawberries or Mason Jar Fruit Salad.
4. Seeds – like pumpkin seeds – nuts always seem to make nutrition lists, but what about the seed? Just as nutritious as nuts, seeds are often a bit lower in cals without compromising on the healthy fats and nutrients. Pumpkin seeds in particular are a great source of iron.
5. Barley – is awesome! It’s a whole grain packed with fibre and taste yet it never seems to end up on our dinner plates. Eat it.
6. Avocado – This fruit is very different than many other fruits, or vegetables for that matter, since it contains plenty of good-for-you monounsaturated fats which aren’t very plentiful in other foods. Besides, who doesn’t love guac? Try this Avocado + Egg on Sourdough Toast.
7. Fish – especially fatty fish like salmon, trout, sardines – do you get your two servings per week minimum? Didn’t think so. Eat fish, it’s got EPA & DHA (aka omega-3s) – you need that, it’s essential. Try this Ahi Tuna Nicoise Salad.
8. Artichokes – Most people have tried artichoke hearts but have you ever eaten a whole artichoke? Besides being one of the vegetables with the most soluble fibre, they are also so fun to eat. Don’t know what I mean? YouTube “How to eat an artichoke.”
9. Orange veggies – like carrots, sweet potato, squash, orange peppers – they are oozing with Beta carotene (vitamin A), making them your eyes and skin’s best friend. They are also packed with antioxidants and other phytochemicals which fight disease. Do you need any more reasons to include the orange everyday?
10. Water – I know, it’s not a food, but it sustains life. Enough said. Here’s how you can infuse and naturally flavour your water.
— April & Michelle, GetRealGurlsNutrition. Backed by science and experience, the GetRealGurls share their honest thoughts about food and nutrition. For more great articles visit them at www.getrealgurlsnutrition.com